Hosting is one of my favorite things to do, so it was no question that when my sister and her beau came to visit from the East Coast, we made them at home in our little apartment. I was so excited to plan our breakfast menu, breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day and now I had the chance to prepare THREE breakfasts for our guests.
My sister is vegan, which I find exciting, because I usually try to spare Casey from cooking vegan all the time. But, now was my chance to revel in a vegan partner-in-crime! This yogurt melange hits all the notes, sweet, creamy, and crunchy. It was a hit! And as a bonus, this was a super quick and easy meal to prepare so that we could get on with our day packed with sight seeing.
Yogurt Berry Melange
Total Time: 10 mins
- 2 cups coconut yogurt (or yogurt of choice)
- 1/2 cup berries, divided
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a small pan over medium heat. Stir often and take them off as soon as they get fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a dish, place most of the berries and smash with the back of a fork until the juices flow. Reserve a few whole berries for topping.
- Layer it all into serving dishes. Begin by smearing the yogurt into the dishes. Scoop the berry-mash over the yogurt and divide the remaining berries over top. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and chopped mint. Drizzle with honey (warm it if you are using a thick, raw honey).
*note: most vegans do not eat honey as it is a animal product. You can substitute maple syrup, agave or omit it all together. The berries are sweet enough on their own!